Hair transplant introduction
Hair transplant is a highly growing and advanced technology invented to help people suffering from hair loss due to injury and baldness. Hair transplant surgery is carried on by extracting hair follicles from one area of the head and transplanting them to the other. People who suffer from pattern baldness have very scanty or no hair in the middle and front portion of the head.
However, they have a normal hair growth at the sides at the back of the head. In such cases, hair follicles are extracted from the side and back of the head and implanted at the front portion. The hair follicle, thus implanted, grow like the normal hair in around 2- 4 months and enhance the overall look of the person who underwent the transplant.
Hair transplantation is a good option for males facing pattern baldness and women facing thinning of hair. Hair transplantation can also be an option for those who have lost their hair to an injury. Hair transplant, however, is not for the people who are completely bald.
Hair transplant is done using two techniques, FUT and FUE. FUT (follicular unit transplantation) is carried on by cutting out a strip of scalp skin from the donor area and transplanting the follicles obtained from that strip to the targeted site. FUT is a lesser common technique as leaves behind a scar after surgery. FUE (follicular unit extraction) technique uses a thin needle (.6mm – 1mm) to extract hair follicle from the donor area. These follicles, containing 1 – 4 hair, are transplanted to the front portion of the head. FUE is a more prevalent technique as it does not leave behind any scars. However, tiny holes can be seen at the donor site.
Hair transplant side effects
The most frequently asked question about hair transplant is; is there any side effect of hair transplantation? Hair transplantation is all together a very safe and convenient procedure. However, being a surgery it has a few short term as well as long term side effects.
Short term side effects:
Hair transplantation being a surgery comes along with the basic side effects of surgery. However, most of the side effects are short term and can be easily treated through care and medicine. Some of the side effects are listed below.
1) Infection and bleeding: As a surgical process, hair transplant is prone to infections. Precautions must be taken to minimize the risk of infections and bleeding. Patient, who has to undergo a hair transplant, must get a thorough physical checkup before the surgery. The physical examination helps the surgeon to decide whether the person is suitable for a transplant or not.
2) Problem related to anesthesia: Hair transplant surgery is done under local anesthesia. Care, must therefore, be taken so that the patient does not face any problem related to anesthesia. A well trained anesthetic doctor may help in avoiding problems related to anesthesia.
3) Numbness of the treated area: The effect of anesthesia can result in a lack of sensation at the
targeted area. However, the numbness is temporary and goes away with time.
4) Irritation at the targeted site: A slight irritation or itching can be felt at the targeted area, but, the effect is temporary and goes away with time.
5) Folliculitis: Hair transplant may result in inflammation of hair follicles at the targeted site. This inflammation is known as folliculitis. Folliculitis can be treated with medicines and is not a very severe problem.
6) Scars: Hair transplant using the FUT technique leaves behind a scar at the donor site. People
who tend to form thick fibrous scars (keloid scars) after surgery, must rethink before going for
hair transplant surgery.
7) Blackening or discoloration of the skin around eyes: Blackening of areas around eyes can happen to certain patients. This problem, however, is very rare and goes away with time.
8) Hiccups: Some patients who have undergone a hair transplant get too many hiccups for some days after the surgery. The reason for hiccups is not known yet, but, there is no acute problem related to them.
9) Shock loss: Patients may experience hair loss or thinning of hair after a few months of hair transplant. This is known as shock loss. This occurs due to the growth of new hair and is temporary.
Side effects of hair transplant in long term are very rare. One of them is unnatural looking hairline. This side effect is very rare and not seen in most of the patients.