Otoplasty (Ear Surgery)
Otoplasty, commonly called ear surgery is a cosmetic procedure used to correct the structure of ears. People who have large ears that stick out too much or look unproportionate with respect to their heads or body often opt for otoplasty. Ear pinning is also a type of otoplasty that is specifically used to correct the appearance of large ears.
If protruding or too prominent ears bother you or your child, you may consider ear pinning with plastic surgery. Ear surgery, also known as otoplasty — can improve the shape, position or proportion of the ear. It can correct a defect in the ear structure that is present at birth that becomes apparent with development or it can treat misshapen ears caused by injury.
Ear Surgery creates a natural shape while bringing balance and proportion to the ears and face. Subtle changes to ear shape and position can give dramatic results. Otoplasty surgery can have profound benefits to appearance and self esteem especially in children and youngsters.
Note: ALCS Clinic offers a safe and economical ear surgery in Jaipur to correct any deformation, structural defects, or improve the appearance of ears. Expert plastic surgeons under the supervision of Dr. Sunil Arora take care of every minute detail of this surgery to give you the best experience.
Ideal candidates for an Otoplasty
- An effective option for adults and children, an ear surgery can be performed on patients as young as four years of age. In fact, children are common candidates for otoplasty once their ears reach the full size. This usually happens at the age of around 6 years.
- While many families choose otoplasty for their young children, this procedure can be done at any time and is frequently performed on adults as well.
- If you have ears that stick out too much, you can go for otoplasty at an older age as well. The procedure to correct this condition of ears is called setback otoplasty.
Before Ear Surgery
Your plastic surgeon will carry a detailed check up of your body and go through your medical history. Adhere to all instructions given by him. In addition, follow these general points before otoplasty:
- Keep yourself well-hydrated before the surgery as it leads to a safer recovery. This is applicable to any kind of surgery you may be planning to go through in future.
- If you are a smoker, stay away from smoking for at least 4-6 weeks before the surgery. Nicotine can severely impact your healing and recovery process.
- Avoid taking any blood-thinning medications such as aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs, or certain herbal medications. Such medications can increase the chance of bleeding during the surgery. Consult your plastic surgeon for further information regarding the same.
- Take special care of your ear region and practice a healthy skin routine. Clean the skin around your ears with warm water and use sunscreen to protect the area from direct sunlight.
Ear Surgery Procedure
Disclaimer: Results may vary significantly from patient to patient due to individual differences.
- On the day of otoplasty, you should not have anything by mouth including any food item. You can only take a minimum amount of water by mouth during brushing of teeth.
- Wear comfortable clothes on the day of the surgery. Usually, general anesthesia is used for otoplasty but in some cases, surgeons also use local anesthesia with intravenous sedation.
- The actual surgery can be minimally invasive, meaning there are limited and hidden incisions made. Any incisions made will be located behind the ear. This is not only because it gives the best results, but also because it will not show any scarring.
- The cartilage is weakened, reshaped and finally matched to the shape of the lobe so that it looks natural. Your team of surgeons will closely monitor your vital stats with different monitors during the entire procedure.
- Usually, it is an outpatient procedure so you can go home on the same day of surgery after a short observation period unless your surgeon recommends anything else.
Otoplasty Recovery- Post Operative Care
- Recovery from ear surgery is quick and most patients are presentable a few days after surgery. Usually, you can return to work and light activities within a week.
- Since incisions are placed behind the ear, scars are barely visible. You can notice final changes in the appearance of ears in two weeks.
- Ensure that you take frequent rest periods in the first week after the surgery but keep walking at short intervals to prevent blood clotting.
- Do not keep your head on the operated ear as it could result in discomfort and throbbing of the head.
- A head wrap is worn for the first 24 hours after surgery and a headband is encouraged for the first post-operative week.
- Sutures are removed within the first week and the headband should be worn at night only for 5 days thereafter.
- Discomfort is mild and easily controlled with oral medication, although the ears tend to ache and be sensitive for some time after.
- Light exercise can be started 1 week after surgery however aerobic walking can resume after the first few days.
The cost of an ear surgery can vary from patient to patient as well as from doctor to doctor. Your geographic location is also a factor that contributes to the cost of otoplasty.
More importantly, you must ensure that you are in the good hands of an expert plastic surgeon and later decide the financial aspects of the surgery. Discuss with your surgeon in advance about all aspects of the ear surgery before otoplasty.
Contact ALCS for affordable ear surgery in Jaipur. At ALCS, you can get many other plastic surgery procedures under the guidance of Dr. Sunil Arora, who is the award-winning best cosmetic surgeon in Rajasthan.