Liposuction surgery is a sculpting surgery for your body. It eliminates unwanted stubborn fats which do not go away with exercise or diet. This type of fat is usually located in the hips, buttocks, waist, thigh, breasts etc.
This type of stubborn fat is also found in male as breasts and tummy fat. Liposuction combined with other procedures helps a surgeon create a desired shape of the body as per patients need. It is also the safest and most popular cosmetic procedures.
Liposuction: Remove Unwanted Fat from Your Body & Bring it Back into Shape!
The procedure for your surgery depends on the type of liposuction you are undergoing, the procedure may be performed at a clinic or a hospital.
In case of complicated or liposuction surgery involving way too much fat to be removed, you may be asked to admit yourself to the hospital for an overnight stay for a couple of days under supervision.
Before the procedure begins, you will be given local or general anaesthesia depending on the amount of fat stored in your body. Based on your condition your surgeon may decide if your surgery will require you to be put to sleep or done while you are awake.
Once the anaesthesia does its job, the type of liposuction procedure selected will start after the surgeon makes a small incision in the stomach or place where the surgery is required.
Through this incision, a liposuction cannula ( small stainless steel instrument with a suction attached) is inserted in the place of fat storage between the skin and muscles.
This cannula removes excess fat either using a suction pump or a large syringe to pump out fat from the body. This results in a smoother, improved body contour.
The length of the procedure will vary with the amount of fat needing removed.
Note: It is worth mentioning here that liposuction is not a weight loss or obesity treatment. It also does not remove stretch marks, cellulite or wrinkles from the skin.
Benefits of Liposuction
Liposuction has helped a lot of people especially woman achieve their aesthetic goals, which they have not been unable to achieve with years of diet and exercise. Liposuction patients not only benefit physically from this surgery but also mentally.
Liposuction has made it to the list of top cosmetic surgeries in the world for its safety and effectiveness in removing fat and cellulite from your body.
Liposuction can be paired with other cosmetic surgeries such as breast augmentation, tummy tuck, and even facial plastic surgery.
The benefits of liposuction include:
- Level of safety in removing fat from the body
- Improves appearance of cellulite
- Improved health overall due to fat loss usually associated with fat loss
- Helps you regain your confidence that you have been losing due to your appearance.
- Sculpting areas of the body like hip and tummy that even exercise and diet fail to impact.
Liposuction is much safer and effective than ever before due to the advancement of the technology and techniques used by experts.
Liposuction techniques can be used to reduce localized fat deposits of the:
- Hips and buttocks
- Abdomen and waist
- Upper arms
- Inner knee
- Chest area
- Cheeks, chin and neck
- Calves and ankles
Where is liposuction surgery performed on the body
- Women most commonly have which areas treated by liposuction?
The most frequent treatments given to women are the abdominal liposuction, breasts liposuction, hips, outer thighs, anterior thighs, inner thighs, knees, upper arms liposuction, buttocks, cheeks and neck.
- Men most commonly have which areas treated by liposuction?
15% to 25% of the liposuction patients are men, the most common process
- Chin liposuction, Cheeks, & Jowls
- Abdominal liposuction
- Thigh liposuction
- Gynecomastia (Male Breast Reduction)
Liposuction in both men and women
tumescent liposuction is used to treat both men and women for a breast reduction as it recovers real quick. Breast size of a woman is reduced by a whopping 40% after surgery which helps in a noticeable change in the breasts.
Liposuction helps in the lifting of female breasts by reducing the amount of fat in them either by reduction or removal.
The fat is removed to an extent where the natural elasticity of breast tissues contract and give the breast a noticeable lift. Postoperation both male and female recover within a day or two.
Types of Liposuction techniques
There are a variety of techniques that facilitate liposuction:
- Dry liposuction / Non-surgical liposuction- This process is no longer used due to its high risk of bruising and over bleeding but it is still considered as a procedure for liposuction. This is a dry surgery as it does not require any type of fluid injection.
- Tumescent liposuction– Several litres of IV fluids with lidocaine and epinephrine is pumped below the skin during this tumescent surgery procedure in the areas that need to be suctioned during the tumescent liposuction surgery. This fluid cause blood vessels to shrink down and allow the liposuction surgery to be performed with minimum blood loss and reduce postsurgical pain and bleeding. This is the most popular form of liposuction
- Suction-assisted liposuction (SAL)- It is the most traditional form of liposuction, a vacuum is used to draw fat from a particular area of the body.
- Power-assisted liposuction (PAL)– PAS uses an advanced mechanical liposuction cannula which moves back and forth at a great speed and helps fasten up the surgery procedure.
It is an upgrade to the traditional SAL in which speed of drawing fat is greater than other methods of liposuction. This may give you a serious noticeable change in your body when it comes to viewing power-assisted liposuction before and after
- Ultrasonic-assisted liposuction (UAL)- UAL is a procedure in which the liposuction cannula is energized with ultrasound that melts the fat when brought in contact with it. The ultrasound turns stubborn fats especially in the male body like in the breasts, back and other areas.
SAL( suction assisted liposuction) is required after Ultrasonic-assisted liposuction to help in removing the melted fats from the body.This technique helps in melting fat with various types of liposuction cannula designed to loosen the fat before drawing. This process helps mainly for larger parts like stomach, butts etc where fat is concentrated.
- VASER, a variation of UAL– It consists of an ultrasonic cannula with several grooves that evenly disperse the energy, improving fat disruption and removal.
This technique makes the fat easier to remove and may be especially useful in areas with larger volumes or denser fat. It also results in a less-aggressive procedure, which may lead to faster recovery times.
This method does pose a risk for burns, and as with traditional liposuction, it’s not intended to significantly reduce weight, but to address fat that is resistant to diet and exercise
- Laser-assisted liposuction (LAL)- It consists of methods like Smartlipo and Slimlipo. LAL helps in disruption of fat cells which helps in laser fat removal in an easy and less traumatic manner.
This is a laser-guided procedure, where the laser energy heats the fat when the microcannula is inserted through a small incision which eases fat removal from the body.
After the operation, the surgeon may leave the incisions open so that excess fluid and blood can drain from the body.
It works in such a way that you will be able to see the before and after effect of laser liposuction almost immediately. Laser liposuction is a safe and effective method of liposuction.
Laser liposuction cost is affordable and not much expensive compared to other liposuction procedures.
Developed by an Aesthetic Society, SAFElipo is a 3-step process of separation, aspiration and fat equalization.
- Separation – Fat is loosened by separating unwanted fat cells without heating and causing any damage to the body part or skin.
- Aspiration – Suction method is used to draw all unwanted fat without causing any damage to the never cells and other parts of the body.
- Fat Equalization – It levels the thin layer of fat with laser body contouring and leaves behind local fat grafts that prevent contour deformity from forming. This process was developed to prevent revision of liposuction.
limitations of Liposuction
Like any other surgical procedure liposuction surgery to has its own limitations, hence you should consider all the risks and limitations before going ahead with the surgery. You should consult the physician with a great reputation and experience who offers a variety of options rather than traditional liposuction.
The very first limitation that one does not know before going ahead with liposuction is that it only dissolves fats to an extent and from a particular part of the body. This results in uneven body shape and results in the need for additional surgeries to be done after liposuction to shape up the body evenly.
- Weight gain after liposuction
Liposuction does not guarantee permanent fat removal from the body. If you are suffering from obesity or other health issues you might gain weight even post liposuction surgery. Diet is the key to establish a healthy body even post liposuction surgery as eating junk food post surgery may fatten your body even more than before.
- Cost of liposuction surgery
Liposuction is expensive but still affordable with various health plans like medical insurance, EMI schemes etc. People who require undergoing liposuction need to bear the cost of liposuction surgery to live a healthy life in future hence getting your finances in place is recommended before surgery.
Liposuction Procedure Surgeon in Jaipur
Dr SUNIL ARORA
M.Ch. (Plastic Surgery), Consultant
Best Surgeon for liposuction surgery in Jaipur and other cosmetic procedures (Rajasthan)
Dr Sunil Arora has been facilitated with several awards for his excellence in Cosmetic Surgeries.
- Visionaries of Rajasthan Award by India Today Group – 2016
- Best Plastic Surgeon of Rajasthan Award – 2014
- Founder Secretary, Rajasthan Association of Plastic Surgeons – 2011
- Organizing Secretary, Aesthetic Body Contouring Conference – 2011
Liposuction Procedure at ALCS Jaipur
- As the name suggests, liposuction involves suction of fat from body parts. Surgeons make a small incision in the skin of the patient and insert blunt, thin tubes known as a cannula.
- These tubes (liposuction cannula, liposuction micro-cannula) are used to accomplish the task of sucking fat from the body. This instrument is hollow and uses a high-pressure vacuum to suck the fat.
- Generally, this fat removal surgery can be is done with general anesthesia. The process may last for several hours depending on which body part is targeted for liposuction and the quantity of fat that has to be removed.
- Once the liposuction procedure is completed, the patient is given an elastic cover to wear or bandages are used to provide support on the operated area.
Education & Training
Dr Sunil Arora has earned his MCH (Plastic Surgery) degree from C.S.M Medical University(Upgraded KGMU), Lucknow (2009). He did MS (Gen. Surgery) from SMS Medical College, Jaipur in 2005.
Dr Arora did his MBBS studies at SMS Medical College, Jaipur in 2000 and also, completed his internship from SMS Medical College, Jaipur in 2001.
Extensive Work Experience
Well renowned & experienced, Dr Sunil Arora has served as Junior Resident in Dept. of General Surgery, SMS Medical College, Jaipur.
He has also worked as a Senior Resident in Dept. of General Surgery, AIIMS, New Delhi and as Senior Resident in Dept. of Plastic Surgery, CSM Medical University (Upgraded KGMU), Lucknow.
He has been the Organizing Secretary for many CMEs. Aesthetic Body Contouring`, Jaipur (2011), AOCMF Workshop on Management of Facial Fractures, Jaipur (2012), Instructional Course on Wound Management, Jaipur (2012) are just a few of the many names of CMEs where Dr Arora has rendered his services as an Organizing Secretary.
Research & Teaching Experience
Dr Sunil Arora firmly believes that learning is an ongoing process, and research is the best way to keep discovering facts that aid human race worldwide. Following the same philosophy, Dr Arora has always been avidly participating in various researchers and teaching programs about liposuction surgery and other cosmetic surgeries.
He has always shown his interest and participation in a plethora of Journal Clubs, Seminars, and Operative Chats. It is worth mentioning that he has also performed various techniques of microvascular anastomosis in rat models in the microvascular lab, KGMU at Lucknow.
Apart from this, Dr Arora has also enthusiastically participated in many UG & PG training programs including lectures, tutorials, and operative procedures.
Honors & Awards
Dr Sunil Arora is a bundle of talents! That’s the simple reason why he has been bestowed upon with numerous awards and honours. His continued endeavours of delivering honest and dedicated services are indeed a blessing for the society.
- He has been awarded as “Best Plastic Surgeon” in Rajasthan in a survey, based entirely on patient feedback, for receiving 100% positive patient feedback.
- Dr Arora is also recently awarded as “Visionaries of Rajasthan“, by India Today Group on 27th May 2016.
- Also, he was felicitated by Australian cricketer Shane Watson and South African cricket team coach, Paddy Upton, during the inaugural function of Project Smile (free services to cleft patients).
- In addition to this, he was also honoured for significant contribution as Plastic Surgeon at the Lifeline Express Project – a Corporate Social Responsibility initiative of Mahindra and Mahindra Ltd.
His active research interest and unstoppable caring behaviour for his patients have led Dr Sunil Arora to be an active participant in many civic and community activities, scientific meetings, thesis, and presentations.
His achievement speaks volumes about his competency that has led his name among the top plastic surgeons in India.
Before, during, and after the liposuction surgery
Before the operation – You will be asked to undergo a few tests by the surgeon after a thorough examination of your body and condition.
- You will be asked to stop taking anti-inflammatory drugs for at least 2 weeks before surgery
- Contraceptive pill consumption should be stopped completely by women before the surgery.
- Anaemic patients may be asked to take iron supplements
- Consent form – You may be asked to fill up a consent form which confirms that they are fully aware of the risks, benefits of the procedure.
During the operation
Liposuction surgery procedure takes around 3 hours which may vary depending on the type of procedure.
- Anesthesia – Majority of liposuction patients are on general anaesthesia (They will be put to sleep throughout the procedure)
- Epidural is used to inject anaesthetic around the spine to numb the abdomen and legs partially.
- For liposuction on small body parts such as the neck etc, local anaesthesia is used which is given to the patient while standing to ensure better and more fat removal.
- The cosmetic surgeon has a set of custom tools available as well. One of these is the liposuction cannula, an instrument used to perform liposuction.
- There are various types of liposuction cannula such as the Byron liposuction cannula, Coleman liposuction cannula and Mercedes liposuction cannula
- The type of liposuction cannula to be used during the surgery depends on the what part of the body it is going to be used for, as well as a few other factors.
After the liposuction operation
- Post liposuction surgery numbness is experienced by the patient for sometimes.
- Patients who have been treated using general anaesthesia need an overnight stay post surgery well as those on local anaesthesia can leave for home the same day.
- The surgeon may fit an elastic support corset or a bandage after the operation on the incised part of the body.
- A patient may be given antibiotics post operation to avoid chances of an infection.The doctor may also prescribe a few analgesics (painkillers) to relieve pain and inflammation.
- Post operation the patient will be given a date to visit and get their stitches removed, this may depend on how fast the patient’s wound heals.
- The area around the operated part may appear bruised for some time.
- Due to analgesics, a patient may feel numbness in the operated area for few weeks.
Results – The area operated during the liposuction surgery may take some time after which the patient may be able to see the results themselves. It takes around 4 weeks to several months for the results to show up as expected after the surgery.
The results obtained post surgery do no guarantee to stay as it is forever, it depends on the diet and daily activities of the patient. If the patient continues eating junk food and does not exercise the fat may start accumulating in the body again but on the other part which was not operated before.
How safe is Liposuction?
Liposuction is a safe procedure, but there are risks and potential complications associated with any surgery.
The following risks, unpleasant side effects, or complications are possible in some cases.
- Bruised skin due to heating of the cannula.
- Swelling of the operated area which may continue to swell for a longer time period post surgery like up to 6 months. Also, fluid may continue to ooze out of the incisions.
- Risk of getting Thrombophlebitis is observed after surgery.
- Contour irregularities – The skin may appear uneven or bumpy if the body heals unevenly if the patient has poor skin elasticity, has healed in an unusual way, or fat removal has been uneven, the skin may appear withered, wavy, or bumpy.
- Numbness – the area that was worked on may feel numb for a while; this is usually only temporary.
- Infections – although rare, skin infections may occur after liposuction surgery. Sometimes this needs to be treated surgically, with the risk of scarring.
- Internal organ punctures – this is very rare.
- Death – anaesthesia carries with it a small risk of death.
- Kidney or heart problems – as fluids are being injected and or suctioned, the change in the body’s fluid levels may cause kidney or heart problems.
- Pulmonary embolism – fat gets into the blood vessels and travels to the lungs, blocking the circulation in the lungs; this can be life-threatening.
- Pulmonary oedema – this may be a result of fluid being injected into the body. Fluid accumulates in the lungs.
- Allergic reaction – there may be an allergic reaction to medications or material used during surgery.
- Skin burns – the liposuction cannula movement may cause friction burns to the skin or nerves.
Cost of liposuction in Jaipur, India?
Factors for cost determination:-
- Time-The cost of liposuction surgery totally depends on the amount of fat to be removed from the body and the total time required for the process to complete including the pre and post surgery visits.
- Quality of the surgery:- The type of surgery best suite you’re your body will be chosen by the surgeon after an in-depth analysis of your body keeping your aesthetic goals in mind. But the type of surgeon you choose depends completely on the patient. The quality of surgery you expect will be based on the skills of the surgeon and the experience.
- Cost of Liposuction is a bit expensive but affordable with various health plans now available everywhere. If you go for a surgery depending purely on the price of it, that may result in uneven body shape due to the low quality of treatment. Liposuction is a hand-crafted art form.
Consider the following before selecting a surgeon for any surgery:
- surgeon’s reputation
- surgeon’s skill
- surgeon’s experience
- surgeon&’s friendly behaviour
At the end, you will remember the quality of the surgery after looking at your body and not the price of the surgery.
Does medical insurance cover liposuction surgery cost?
- Liposuction is mostly not covered by basic health insurance plans as it falls under cosmetic surgeries. Only certain policies that consider it a medical necessity for the patient provide cover liposuction.
How much time does liposuction take to complete?
- Liposuction surgery takes around a few hours to an overnight stay in the hospital depending on the type of surgery and the amount of fat to be drawn. Ful body liposuction can be finished within48 hours or less including the rest time post surgery as the patient might feel dizzy due to anaesthesia effect.
- Once you have agreed to move forward with liposuction surgery, a visit to the surgeon is scheduled from 2 weeks to 10 days prior to your surgery date. This appointment will include blood tests, pre-op consents, pre and post-operation instruction that need to be followed before and after the procedure for a successful liposuction surgery.