How Stress Can Be Associated With Hair Loss

Are stress and hair loss related?


There are so many questions one grapples with, once they let stress become a part of their lives. Does
stress cause hair loss? I have hair loss due to stress, will it grow back? The simple answer to these questions is – Yes, you can lose hair due to stress as they are related. There are multiple types of hair
loss each with their different definitions, reasons and the nature of treatment. Stress hair loss is
generally classified into three different hair loss types


i. Trichotillomania
ii. Telogen effluvium
iii. Alopecia Areata

Can stress cause hair loss?
In today’s time and age, stress is something that cannot be avoided by anyone. This silent killer has been claiming many victims and the first signs that appear are in the form of anxiety and hair loss. If you ask any practitioner or doctor, does stress cause hair loss, they will surely tell you stress and hair loss go hand in hand. The next obvious question then is, how to regain hair loss from stress? Don’t worry, the solution is equally simple. Hair loss due to stress is generally temporary in nature. Hence, any stress related hair fall can be controlled and reversed by controlling the stress.

Let us look at this in a little more detail. The three major types of stress hair loss are explained below
briefly


i. Trichotillomania – This is the real life version of “pulling your hair out” due to stress. In this disorder, the patient experiences an irresistible urge to pull out their hair from the scalp, eyebrows and other body parts as a result of the stress and anxiety. This may be due to a number of reasons including but not limited to stress, fatigue, boredom or fear and loneliness.


ii. Telogen Effluvium – Another type of stress hair loss that is very common is Telogen Effluvium. This is the body’s way of reacting to a sudden shock or stress. This stress may be physical or mental in nature. Some common examples of situations when body experiences such shocks are


a) Accidents
b) Traumatic news or experience
c) Pregnancy and child birth
d) Excessive dieting
e) Chronic illnesses
f) Major surgery
g) Suddenly stopping contraceptive pills
h) Using antidepressants


Under normal conditions, nearly 80% of the hair follicles are active whereas the remaining 20% are inactive. Due to these sudden changes or stress, the hormonal levels in the body may change and as a result much more than 20% of the follicles become inactive and go intoa resting stage. So, when the patient simply combs or washes their hair, the hair is pulled out in chunks and not replaced. This is what we see as hair loss due to stress.


The good news is this type of stress and hair loss is not permanent. Some of the situations are self-regulating and are reversed in due course by the body itself like after child birth. For other situations as well, if the cause of the stress is handled, the hair loss can be reversed. Alopecia Areata – Another extremely common example of hair loss due to stress, this condition occurs, when the body’s immune system itself starts attacking the hair follicles as a reaction to stress, leading to hair loss. Even this type of hair loss is reversible by keeping a check on the causes of stress. Simple lifestyle changes can have great results in reversing the hair loss. These may include having


a) Proper diet including green leafy vegetables
b) Regular exercise routine
c) Stress buster activities like yoga and sports

Why choose us for hair loss treatment?
Having understood the cause for hair loss, you would surely wonder how to regain hair loss from stress?
There certainly are a number of home remedies available, but the best decision you can make is to
consult the experts. At ALCS Jaipur, we can give you a number of reasons why you should choose us
i. Our panel of experts, who are trained and experienced in handling every individual case
ii. One of the best and cost effective hospitals in Jaipur specialized in hair loss treatment
iii. Personalized diagnosis and carefully planned line of treatment

Leave a Comment