Who should undergo Hymenoplasty?
- For Marriage related reasons
Women getting married and belonging to a conservative social background, which holds a belief that a woman’s virginity must only belong to her husband, you can get hymenoplasty surgery procedure.
Many women who opt for hymen repair procedure belong to this category. Like those women whose hymen had probably damaged or torn accidentally due to reasons other than sexual intercourse.
However, if you have had sexual intercourse before marriage and want to keep this fact hidden from your spouse, for religious or cultural reasons, then a hymenoplasty surgery will work for you as well.
- Sexual abuse
If you are a victim of traumatic incidents like rape or sexual abuse and your hymen got damaged or torn, you may choose a hymenoplasty surgery to repair the damage.
You may feel like going for a hymen restorations surgery that will give you back which was taken away from you forcefully. It can be helpful in a symbolic way of coming to terms with what has happened and help restore your dignity, morality and integrity.
- boost Sex Life
Another reason why most women choose Hymenoplasty surgery is if your sex life has become dull. Since this hymenoplasty procedure repairs the hymen and tightens the vaginal walls again, the pleasure during intercourse for both of you will significantly increase.
- Age-related reasons
With ageing, the vaginal walls get stretched and muscles tend to get loose. Some women find it difficult to deal with this change. To restore your self-confidence and to make you feel younger, you may opt for a hymenoplasty surgery.
After having undergone Hymenoplasty surgery, you may bleed during sexual intercourse, as if you were having sex for the first time. You may also experience some sort of discomfort. This is one of the common but temporary side effects that will go away soon.
A hymen repair surgery can be broadly done in three different ways:
- If the hymen membrane is broken recently due to physical activities, the reconstruction process just involves a basic stitching process.
- You can also have an option of creating a bloodless membrane with or without artificial blood. This is often desired by women who have few weeks before marriage.
- A detailed hymen repair surgery involves the formation of a new hymen membrane from the lining of the vagina. The process includes an authentic blood supply but there is a longer recovery period associated with this surgery.
Out of all above hymenoplasty procedures, usually, women opt for the latter two. However, you can choose a process after consultation and discussion with your plastic surgeon.
What to Expect During Hymenoplasty?
Hymen repair surgery is a simple cosmetic procedure that is normally not invasive. Usually, the surgery is performed on an outpatient basis and lasts anywhere between 45 to 60 minutes.
Local anesthesia with sedation is used for this surgery though you can also opt for general anesthesia after consulting with your surgeon. The best part of revirgination is that there are no scars from this procedure so it is a completely discreet process.
After Hymen Repair Surgery- Post Operative Care and Recovery
- The recovery from hymenoplasty can take anywhere between a few days to up to 6 weeks depending on individuals.
- Since it is an outpatient procedure, you can resume your normal routine from the same day or the next day itself.
- It is a relatively safe and risk-free procedure and does not involve serious complications or side effects. There is a rare risk of infection, swelling or bleeding and in most cases, patients have a fast recovery process.
- Avoid strenuous activities or heavy exercise for 2-3 weeks after the surgery.
- Consult your cosmetic surgeon before resuming sex. In general, it is better to refrain from any sexual activity for at least 6 weeks after the hymen reconstruction surgery.
- If you experience any pain or discomfort following the surgery, consult your surgeon who can prescribe some pain medications.
Hymenoplasty surgery risks and complications
1) Dizziness post-Hymenoplasty surgery
Nausea and vomiting may be experienced, as a side effect of local Anesthesia or General Anesthesia which goes away as soon as its effect wears off.
2) Post-operative pain after Hymenoplasty surgery
Pain may be felt around the surgical wound as soon as the anaesthetic wears off, which is usually relieved by painkillers (during initial 2-3 days). sometimes you may experience itchiness, irritation or tension around the surgical wound which may be counted as hymenoplasty side effect.
It is advised that you should take a rest post hymenoplasty surgery. It helps you to monitor the symptoms or any complication you may notice. However once should refrain from working because it may cause bruising and severe pain.
If you experience pain, please do not be hesitant to come to see your surgeon
3) Abnormal bleeding post-Hymenoplasty surgery
Use of small dissolving suture may lead to the risk of postoperative complication such as bleeding from the hymenoplasty surgical wound, possibly caused by running or other activities.
After the Hymenoplasty surgery procedure, abnormal bleeding which may lead to blood clots is rarely seen which occurs in 1 out of 100 surgeries. During such conditions, Aspirin and other painkiller drugs should be avoided for at least 10 days before and post the hymenoplasty surgery.
Excessive bleeding from the hymenoplasty surgical wound occurs after the hymenoplasty surgery procedure is complete. However, if the bleeding or other complications occur due negligence then you may have to undergo corrective measures.
4) Abnormal vaginal discharges after the Hymenoplasty surgery
After Hymenoplasty, you may have abnormal vaginal discharge or curd-like substance flowing out as a result of vaginal fungi. It happens, possibly because of taking antibiotics to avoid after hymenoplasty surgery infection and needing oral anti-fungal medication or suppository.
5) Inflammation or infection post-Hymenoplasty surgery
Post-Hymenoplasty, inflammation or infection of the wound may occur because the surgical wound is in the vaginal opening area constantly exposed to contamination with the liquid flowing from the vaginal tract, the urinary tract and the faecal tract.
Inflammation or infection post-Hymenoplasty surgery may happen to any women who avoid following the instructions given by the surgeon. It also happens if they follow the instructions incorrectly or have existing medical conditions such as diabetes or have a vaginal infection before the surgery.
Inflammation or infection after the Hymenoplasty surgery procedure may cause complications such as wound deformation, suture mark (scar), or wound disruption leading to abnormal blood flow from the surgical wound.
6) Unsatisfactory with the results of Hymenoplasty surgery
The Hymenoplasty surgery may result in partial restoration of the hymen ring depending on the woman’s hymen structure before surgery. Since the hymen tissues are very delicate and thin, sometimes it is impossible to completely fix the hymen ring. Sometimes the surgery requires Perineoplasty to obtain a more satisfactory Hymenoplasty results. Perineoplasty helps reduce the wound tension to the thin hymen.
The Hymenoplasty has its own limitations and cannot ensure 100% satisfactory results because there are various other factors influencing the hymenoplasty surgical result and satisfaction. In case of unsatisfactory results, corrective surgery may be performed as right and possible. For the following which you and your surgeon should sit across the table to discuss the solution together.
Hymenoplasty correction surgery wound occurs from the complication of the Hymenoplasty. if the unsatisfactory hymenoplasty surgery results occur due to the hymenoplasty surgery complication of your non-compliance with the doctor’s orders, you will be charged accordingly.
It takes time from half an hour to 1 hour for performing hymenoplasty.
No, because the surgery is done on an outpatient basis.
It takes around fifteen to twenty days.