Fat Transfer (Fat Grafting)
Fat transfer is a process by which extra fat on one body part is transferred to another body part to fill volume and give shape to it. Also known as fat grafting, fat transfer is often accomplished with fat injections. Fat injection can be an effective way to reduce wrinkles, diminish acne scarring and regain a more youthful appearance.
By injecting human fat harvested from your own body (fat injection), cosmetic surgeons at ALCS enhance facial fullness, fill deep creases, soften facial creases and wrinkles, plump lips and build up shallow contours. You can be sure of getting a safe fat transfer in Jaipur under the best plastic surgeon in Rajasthan, Dr. Sunil Arora at the ALC Studio.
Am I a good candidate for fat transfer?
Unlike other cosmetic injectables that are made from synthetic products, fat grafting does not pose a possibility of an allergic reaction because the fat tissue is taken from your own body.
While fat injections do not stop the aging process, facial augmentation with human fat may help delay the need for more invasive procedures, such as a facelift, forehead/eyebrow lift or other types of surgery. Fat transfer is also a beneficial addition to other cosmetic surgery procedures.
The best way to determine if you are a candidate for a fat grafting is through a consultation with a cosmetic surgeon at ALCS in Jaipur. Still, there are some points you can consider to determine if you are a good candidate for fat transfer:
- you have sunken or creased facial areas
- you want permanent fillers instead of temporary fillers like dermal fillers or Botox used in anti-aging treatments
- you want to rejuvenate your skin of hands or face
Fat transfer is a more extensive procedure than the use of other cosmetic injectable fillers because liposuction techniques are involved. These techniques are used to extract the fat prior to injection.
While fat grafting procedure is a non-surgical process that is usually completed with local anesthesia, it may require local anesthesia with sedation if larger amounts of fat are being collected through liposuction methods.
Fat Grafting Procedure
Fat transfer is generally performed on an outpatient basis using local anesthesia at ALCS. The procedure usually takes 30 minutes to an hour, or more, depending on the patient, the volume of fat to be injected, and additional procedures that are being completed at the same time.
The fat is withdrawn from certain areas of the body (typically the abdomen or hips), either by using a needle or through techniques similar to those used during liposuction using a special suction cannula). Once enough fat is taken from the donor area, it is then purified through the use of a centrifuge, which spins the fat and removes impurities.
The fat is then injected into areas needing augmentation through an injection needle that is usually passed in and out of the specific areas multiple times. This creates a ‘grid’ of threads of fat graft, hence the name fat grafting.
Before Fat Transfer Surgery
You must keep following general points in mind before going through a fat transfer procedure with fat injections:
- Refrain from smoking for at least 4-6 weeks before the surgery as it could lead to scarring or poor healing after the fat injection.
- Do not take any blood-thinning medications or aspirin-containing products as they may lead to increase in bleeding during the surgery.
- For safe recovery, aim to be well hydrated before and after the surgery.
- Make sure you have someone else to take you home after the surgery unless you have made arrangements with your plastic surgeon to stay in post-operative care for some days.
Fat Transfer Results
You will see immediate results from fat grafting, and the treated areas may appear too augmented at first due to swelling.
Over time, the swelling will subside, and you will usually be able to see your true results in three to four months. After this period of time, you may lose fat from the injected areas as your body metabolizes it.
In general, about half of the injected fat is absorbed back into the body in three to six months. Follow-up with your surgeon at ALCS is the best way to ensure long-lasting results of fat transfer.
Fat Transfer Recovery
- People who undergo fat grafting can usually return to their normal daily routines soon after treatment.
- Bruising, swelling or redness in both the donor and injected areas are expected but typically lasts only a few weeks.
- The recovery period may be longer based on whether liposuction is used and the amount of fat removed.
- During recovery, you should avoid sun exposure and may wear makeup with UV protection to disguise and protect the effects of the fat transfer procedure.
Is fat injection safe?
All surgical procedures carry some risk. Possible complications from fat transfer surgery include:
- Fatty cysts
- Fat embolism
- Seroma (pocket of clear fluid)
Permanent skin discoloration from bruising
Cost of Fat Transfer Surgery
Before going through fat transfer procedure or taking fat injections, you must discuss in detail with your plastic surgeon regarding the financial aspects of this surgery. The cost of fat transfer surgery depends on person to person and the type of fat injection used for the procedure. More than the cost, though, you must ensure that your cosmetic surgeons is trained well and has enough experience under his belt in performing fat transfer surgery.
Why Choose ALC Studio for Fat Transfer
If you’re considering fat grafting, look for a board-certified plastic surgeon with specialized training and significant experience performing these procedures. Consider going to a plastic surgeon who is affiliated with a major medical center, such as ALCS. Ask your plastic surgeon about credentials, training and how many fat transfer procedures he or she has performed.
At ALCS, you can expect to get a safe and effective fat transfer in Jaipur under the best plastic surgeon in Rajasthan.