Breast reduction, also known as reduction mammoplasty, is a cosmetic surgery to reduce the size of breasts in women. Women usually go for breast reduction surgery either due to physical discomfort or to look and feel good in their body. Physical discomfort may arise due to large breasts ( macromastia) and can cause neck, shoulder, back, breathing and/or circulation problems.
Usually, breast reduction candidates are women with large, pendulous breasts who are either self-conscious or experience any of the above problems. At times even teenage girls also feel extremely self-conscious due to the size of their breasts.
Why Breast Reduction
You can consider breast reduction surgery in the following cases:
- you have unproportionate breast in comparison with rest of your body
- one breast is larger than other
- your nipples and areolas point downwards due to heavy breasts
- you feel self-conscious due to large breasts
- you experience pain in neck, shoulders, or back due to heavy breasts
Breast Reduction Procedure
Reduction mammoplasty or breast reduction surgery makes breasts smaller, lighter, and firmer by removing skin, fat, and glandular tissue from them. removes fat, glandular tissue, and skin from the breasts.
Breast reduction is nearly always performed under general anesthesia. The most common method of reducing the breasts involves three incisions. One incision is made around the areola. Another runs vertically from the bottom edge of the areola to the crease underneath the breast.
The third incision follows the natural curve of the breast crease. Newer techniques of reduction have eliminated the need for the horizontal incision in the breast crease, and are therefore much more acceptable to the patients.
After the surgeon has removed excess breast tissue, fat and skin, the nipple and areola are shifted to a higher position. The areola, which in large breasts usually has been stretched, also is reduced in size.
Skin that was formerly located above the nipple is brought down and together to reshape the breast. Liposuction may be used to improve the contour under the arm.
Note: ALCS assures you of highly effective breast reduction surgery in Jaipur by the expert hands of the best plastic surgeon in Rajasthan. Feel free to consult us for having an easy, affordable breast reduction in Jaipur.
Before Breast Reduction Surgery
- Stop smoking at least 4 to 6 weeks before the surgery as it can interfere with healing.
- Do not take blood thinning medications such as Aspirin, herbal medications, or anti-inflammatory drugs as they increase the chance of bleeding during surgery
- Limit alcohol intake to 2-3 drinks per week before the surgery
- Make sure you stock foods in your refrigerator that you can consume after the surgery. Foods must contain high protein and low sodium along with fresh fruits and vegetables and caffeine-free beverages and drinks.
- You will have limited motion of arms after surgery so keep necessary things at accessible height (not overhead or too low positions)
- No matter the type of surgery, stay hydrated always as it ensures safe recovery.
After Breast Reduction- Post Operative Care and Recovery
Recovery time from breast reduction surgery usually varies from person to person and your surgeon will give you the best advice regarding the same. There are some other points you must keep in mind after the surgery for proper care and recovery:
- Swelling may stay for few weeks after the surgery but slowly it will return to normal.
- You may experience pain or discomfort once effects of anesthesia subside but your doctor will prescribe pain medications.
- Check your temperature regularly after the surgery as increase in body temperature may indicate infection.
- Keep your torso elevated for maximum time and use at least two to three fluffy pillows under your head and upper back while sleeping.
- Do not engage in heavy exercises or strenuous activities after the surgery. However, your surgeon may advise you to walk after the surgery to prevent blood clotting and swelling.
- After breast reduction surgery, it is often possible to return to work within just a couple of weeks.
- Unless you gain or lose a significant amount of weight or become pregnant, your breast size should remain fairly constant after breast reduction procedure.
If you are in the hands of a right plastic surgeon, you can be assured of extremely positive results of breast reduction procedure. In fact, breast reduction ranks one of the highest in patient satisfaction among plastic surgeons.
Contact ALCS for breast reduction surgery in Jaipur under the care and guidance of one of the best plastic surgeons in India. You can also avail several other cosmetic surgery procedures at affordable costs at ALCS clinic.